Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Reflection of Week 7

Luke 9:59-62 But he said to him, 'Lord, let me first go and bury my father.' 60 But he said to him, 'Leave the dead to bury their own dead; but as for you, go and proclaim the kingdom of God.'

We have been talking alot about buring our dead being something that is for the living. These huge monuments and things are only for the ones who were left behind by their loved one. But why are we so stuck on the idea of going back to this burial place where all that is left is the body and remains of that person....no soul....no memories....no personality...if anything I think it would be a better custom to not go visit the burial site...whenever I go to see my grandfathers grave all I can think about is how much I miss him and how hes not here anymore....but if I only remembered the good memories while I'm sitting at home looking at pictures...his death doesen't hurt so bad. I don't know. Thats why I really like this verse from Luke in the bible, let the living who are dead in spirit go and bury the dead while I go on living and doing what I gotta do. Why revisit a dead thing with no life???
Anyways I thought a lot this week about also being buried underground. I know that at a funeral that is the worst part..to see my loved one go under the surface of the earth...maybe a public mausoleum is not such a wierd idea..??? Still thinking on it....

No comments:

Post a Comment